Monday, March 31, 2008

Subversive Seamster: a Book Report by Mary Beth

I really don't like to write book reports. They are boring. I rather write exciting stories with all sorts of interesting characters that get into trouble. Just like the movies. But my mom says I have to write this book report or I will not be able to go to library (my favorite place) or visit Daiquiri Queen to get a butterscotch-coated vanilla ice cream on a plain cone.

So here I go.

Melissa Alvarado, Hope Meng and Melissa Rannels are three ladies who wrote a book called Subversive Seamster: Transform Thrift Store Threads into Street Couture. I don't know what either words mean, although I do recognize the first part of the first word: sub. Anyhow, these authors know how to sew and shop at thrift stores. They all own Stitch Lounge in San Francisco, a city I really want to visit one day. It would be cool to ride the cable cars up and down the hills.

So they wrote this book about how to buy used clothes and make them look new. They cut them apart, and put them back together in a different way. It's like Lincoln Logs, only applied to clothing. I like this idea because I don't have a big allowance. I have to use my baby-sitting money to buy what I need. The only problem is that I don't live near too many thrift stores in Glenview. My mom might have to drive me there. Wait, I could ride my bike to this store on Waukegan Road that sells 1950s gowns and 1960s suits.

I like the sub-titles in this book. They are funny. "Corner Your Pivoting Skills, Lettuce Show You a Great Technique," and "Ruche Me Up, Ruch Me Down" make me laugh. "Ms. Double Trouble: the Duct Tape Dress Form" is really silly-looking. If I made that form, my brothers would probably use to practice their boxing skills and then Toby would chew on it. I'm not sure I would make it. It looks a bit scary because it's silver and has no head.

I could do some of the projects in this book because I just learned how to sew. I took lessons at this shop in Golf Mill. I ride my bike there for each class, and it's a long way! If I could, I would make "Ain't No Collar Back Girl!" My mom has a polyester blouse like that in her closet. I could take it, she wouldn't mind. I'd cut off the collar and then put that and a pocket on a t-shirt just like the authors suggest. My mom would be surprised by what I made, don't you think? "Launch Yo Poncho" is pretty too. I'd take a poncho I got from Mexico that I don't wear too much any more. It's too hot. Mom wouldn't care about that either. I really like "Salsa, Not Just For Chips Anymore" too. For this craft project, you're supposed to cut up an A-line skirt (what's that?), dye the fabric, and put on a ruffle. I'd use Kool-Aid instead of Rit Dye. It's cheaper, and I could drink what's leftover.

Finally, "Always a Bridesmaid, Never a Tie (or Halter)" is cute too. I've never been a bridesmaid yet, but I see all these women wearing these matching gowns after weddings at Our Lady of Perpetual Help. They appear gorgeous and they look like they're having lots of fun! I bet the bride buys those dresses. I want to be a bridesmaid a dozen times when I'm old enough.
Anyhow, I could take the rest of that blouse of my mom's that I think she's only worn once to a fancy-schmancy party for her wedding anniversary. She would be really impressed that I can make two things out of one top!

That's all for my book report. I think you should check this book out from the library; it's good. I wouldn't buy it because again, my budget is limited, and my mom and dad tell me I have to save up money for high-school and college.

No comments: