Thursday, May 29, 2008

Polls and other stuff*


The "editor" goofed on the (How has the economy affected your sewing habits poll ). The "mistake" should be obvious if you follow the link. Actually, I might give the topic another shot now that I think about it.

I've got a new knitting-related poll in the left sidebar. Please vote if you're so inclined, which brings me to the results of the "How Likely Are You To Join a French Knitting Club?" poll. It turned out two readers voted yes; two, no and three never. I've seen at least two women knitting (one was making a sock, the other looked she was embroidering a knitted hat) while they were waiting for class at Alliance Française, so they and other Francophiles could be members of my club if I ever decided to start one. I think we might need to show a movie at the same time, and have at least brie cheese and some French bread. There's already a meet-up.com group that goes to local French films, but the group I envision would meet at the abovementioned building, where we could at least control the lights so we could see our needles. I'm not about to try those lighted needles while I'm in the theater, but I could do with some low lights (at least enough to see some basic stockinette stitches, I can't be multi-tasking attempting to make lace). Which brings me to another knitting-related question, for those of you on Ravelry, how many of you would put your ID on a business card? I've found I write mine (thelazymilliner) on ripped pieces of paper, napkins and other ephermera when I meet fellow Ravelry members. I'm thinking that I might actually put my ID on future business cards to save some hassles. Would you do the same or have you already?

Phantomminuet doesn't mess with knitting needles as far as I know, but she did tag me. So here are six things you didn't know about me:

1. I have ten brothers and sisters (two sisters, seven brothers) and twelve nieces and nephews. Maybe I said that in a previous post. I dunno. Now you know definitely. This crop of youngsters makes for some noisy family get-togethers, which I'm glad are thrilled are held at my mother's. Let her deal with the broken picture frames.
2. I shouldn't speak too soon. I might have to deal with my less than fair share of broken items, now that I will be the foster mother of a cute little dog named Hamlet from Blessed Bonds (see above picture) beginning Monday for at least 14 days. I grew up with dogs (beginning with Beulah, a basset hound, to Chico, a furry mutt, and then Toby, I forget what breed he was).
3. I don't wear any rings. Zilch. Not even a Claddagh ring, which I keep thinking about doing since perhaps it bring some new love options my way. But I do like having hands barren in a way. A ring might feel confining.
4. I like making lentil soup from scratch. Two weeks from now I'm going to get the chance to can vegetable broth with two sisters I met recently at this event.
5. I have an air conditioner in my apartment, but I never use it. Instead, I just on any one of three ceiling fans, and crack open the windows when it gets really hot.
6. I've never downloaded anything from iTunes even though I have the ability to do so.

For those of you who like to dye fiber (I would think this would include fabric, although the following information is addressed to Chicago knitters), here's a free event. I'm thinking of going, but I'm not dying any yarn.

Worna Haywood and Judy Chan are hosting a dye day on Saturday, June 7th. No previous experience necessary.

If you are interested please RSVP to Judy or Worna and say what time you plan to arrive so they know how many people to expect.

When: Saturday, June 7, 2008, anytime between 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Where: Judy's workshop at 8217 N Elmore St, Niles, IL 60714
(2 blocks north of Oakton, west of Milwaukee just past "O" streets)

We will supply:
Dyes, burners to heat water, stock pots, steamer,
yarn swift, niddy noddy, microwave, etc.

Supplies you will need to bring:
Animal-based fibers or yarn to dye
Gallon of white vinegar (such as Heinz)
Bottles of water with sport caps (squirt bottles)
Plastic bucket
Plastic wrap
Plastic baggies to take home wet fibers/yarn
Gloves: plastic, vinyl or disposable
Apron or wear old clothes and shoes
Foam paint brush (about 2" wide)

Finally, this weekend I plan to tackle a little knitting (I've abandoned the tank top for now, and plan to make this instead). Sunday I just might do some sewing at Vogue Fabrics, but there's some work I also need to address as well. I've found that I've done very little sewing lately. I think it's because I spend so much time in my apartment so I'm eager to spend as much social time outside of it as possible. At least at Vogue Fabrics, I'll have a sewing machine, no computer distractions, plus I can talk to shoppers if I start feel a little lonely.

Ok, I'm going to tag the following: Svetlana at My Knitting Island, Peacock Chic, and lower your pressure foot. I'm off to email these folks....
* The skirt you see above is another version of the New Look skirt pattern I posted yesterday.

No comments: