Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What Does It Take to Learn How to Thread Viking HuskyLock 936?

I'm afraid the answer is a drink. Or a couple of drinks. I feel intimidated by my Huskylock, which is incredibly funny considering I'm a proud owner of a well-used Viking sewing machine (736 series). Anyhow, this new Huskylock,* or at least new to me, has been sitting in my home for two months, virtually untouched. Ok, I did take it into Vogue Fabrics for a lesson recently. Have I practiced threading since? No, my excuse has been a cold, a long-lasting one. Even in the recovery stage, I've yet to break out the serger. I'm afraid of the creature. It's not the knife section. It's those lower loopers. I'm certain I could thread the upper loopers just I like I would a sewing machine...but the three lower loopers. Ay-Ay-Ay! Would a drink (preferably a Guinness, of course) loosen me up enough to give it another try? Or would I just get frustrated, have another Guinness and get depressed? If had enough beer, I'd be under the table getting cozy with the sewing machine and serger pedals!

Give me your thoughts. How did you learn to thread your serger? I'm thinking I should do what newbie knitters do...they have someone else cast on and off indefinitely until they are confident to do it on their own or they are FORCED to do it by themselves or be very, very bored!

And for the millinery-inclined among you: check out these cloche-brim hatblocks (MBC3, toward the bottom of the page). Nifty....

*Btw, did you know Husquvarna sewing machines are now made in China? Yes! As you can imagine, the quality has gone way down. My Huskylock was one of the last sergers made in Sweden. I'm so thrilled to have a quality machine. I'm sad that Viking, once a quality manufacturer, has gone downhill.....

11 comments:

Tini said...

just three words:
just do it!

If it goes wrong: Do it again!

There's nothing to be afraid of!
(and chocolate is better than alcohol in that case since it does not change the focus of your eyes!)

Josie said...

I have a Huskylock 936 and I have to say it is pretty easy to thread compared to some others I have used. Don't try to do it in a hurry the first couple of times and you'll be fine.

Having said that I have never managed to get the coverstitch option to work so if you figure that out then please share!

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

I also have a 936. It's not hard to thread, but it is intimidating at first. I also have a Huskylock 1001L (which is almost 20 yrs old!!) and believe it or not, the threading is not much different. Perhaps that's why I'm comfortable threading my 936. Just keep practicing! The coverstitch, once threaded properly, makes a beautiful stitch. Once you feel comfortable with it you'll wonder what you ever thought was so difficult. :)

mukuge said...

the factory-supplied tweezers and diagram are enough. get the threads cracking.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
簡單生活 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I have that serger, Mary Beth. And I can totally relate :) but follow the threading paths and thread in the order it should be done (or else!) Mine came with a video that I had to watch over and over so it wasn't that much help. No harm in contacting the person/retailer you bought it from. Hope you've figured it out by now.

Amy Stanton said...

Yep, what Tini said. I just did it...and over and over again. Now, it's like second nature to me... :) You'll get it!

Jen said...

I too own a Huskylock 936 and I agree with Josie, it's easy....definitely use your serger it's absolutely wonderful.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Omega said...

I used to own this machine and I'm not easily intimidated but this machine gave me much frustration. Even once I threaded it the stitch was not that good, I always had to fiddle around with it. I've had several sergers over the years and this one is my least favorite. I also own the Viking Designer SE and I love that machine but the serger I traded in for a babylock and I love it.