Sunday, March 8, 2009

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Flappiness, Part 2

Primotoide futile's comment about the flapper dress I intend to sew eventually got me thinking. There are lots of current patterns out there that could be given a flapper vibe. I picked out just three from Vogue Patterns that could get you kicking up your heels doing the Charleston. Vogue 7762, above, isn't promoted as a 1920s style dress but the pose, the model, the backdrop just screams 1920s. It's in the catalog now! It calls for lightweight for Wool Crepe, Soft Faille, Silk Like Crepe, Matte Jersey and Lt.wt. Double Knit. I'd probably switch the back zipper to the side. Or I could put in a zipper on top in the back to make it a little more contemporary. With a pair of Mary Janes, you're good to go for a Great Gasby party.



This pattern is clearly directed toward the 'mature' woman, but I don't see why it wouldn't turn out for anyone. So don't let the labeling on Vogue 8487 deter you, but that dropped waist? So clearly Louise Brooks! It would be so comfortably made up in charmeuse, which is one of the recommended fabrics. There's no zipper either, making this project an easy-afternoon one.

Here's another waistless gem (Vogue 8229), with so many possibilities. I actually own a Anne Klein black linen burn out that would be perfect for this... paired with a fuschia or Kelly green batiste underneath the ruffle. I don't know why I keep putting off making dress. It's really great if you've got small shoulders and a nice neck that you want to play up. I could also see this in different types of white eyelet, all the same weight, of course. Only the linen's recommended, but I don't see an eyelet wouldn't work. With a big lightweight summer hat or cloche, you'd be the life of the soiree. What other patterns do you see online that might work for a 1920s look?

3 comments:

Primatoide futile said...

Mmmm... I am, as I said, really bad at this. I had noticed the first dress (but I got scared by the absence of reviews at Pattern Reviews, plus the fact that I have more a 50's shape than a 20's one), and I think I might get the pattern at their next discount. I love the third one you highlighted too.
All I can propose is Vogue8241 (http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V8241.htm?tab=list/very_easy_vogue_dresses_br_includes_koko_beall_designer&page=all) with a few modifications, and McCall5844 (http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5844.htm?tab=list/dresses&page=all) and I don't even think it goes in the right decade.

Meg said...

Those are great picks! I love the first for a more formal dress, the second for a more fun, kicky dress.

PhantomMinuet said...

I love that last dress. It reminds me of matching mother daughter dresses that my mother made for me and her when I was little.