Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Girdle edition: Vogue 1020, version 2.0

Vogue 1020, view C, is a dress pattern that's incredibly kind to nearly all figures. No alterations are necessary since all that side scrunching on the left side hides most evils. Short-waisted? Just yank the thing up. Long-waisted? Pull down. And, from what I understand, no full-bust adjustments (FBAs in sewing lingo) are called for either. Besides, it goes together so quickly. Really in a few hours, if you ignore the pattern's clarion call for a side zipper and just use clear elastic to gather the fabric.

You do want to use a stretchy fabric. Mine is the last of $1.29 a yard fabric. Isabella, Vogue Fabrics crackerjack sales lady in the main room, conned me into buying two panels of this stuff. Yes, conned! I was thinking view B of this same pattern but the flower print cried out for something more and I'm so glad I purchased more. Sure, this fabric would look cute in a top, but as an entire outfit, I think it's much more outstanding. I first embellished the hippeastrum with some tiny bright blue dots, also on sale at Vogue. You can see a closer look here. Extremely easy, and makes it look boutiquey!

The fabric was sheer, so I interlined it, but it got all bunchy, especially toward the hem, so I had to undo it. You can still see some of the pale pink mesh getting too friendly with the main fabric, but I'm just going to let it go. Here's what I learned from ace seamstress Mac Berg, also at Vogue's Evanston store: you need to cut the fashion fabric and the interlining as one. You can either baste the two together, or you can opt for the quick-o method. Lay down one fabric, spray it with Sulky KK2000 temporary spray adhesive, put the other fabric down, pin on tissue pattern. Cut. There will be no shifting (unless there's a politician involved), and everything will be on grain.

All in all, I'm pleased as green peas with the dress, even if I must wear a girdle (also known as a body shaper) underneath. I suppose if I had cut the dress a wee wider in the hips it wouldn't hug me so much in that area. I feel a tad bit self-conscious about the rear view, and it's given me extra incentive to add more vegetables to my diet.

Even so, I'll wear this dress. I think it would be great for Easter, weeks away. Maybe I can work on a hat to complement it. What say you?

6 comments:

PhantomMinuet said...

It looks great! I love the placement of the flower.

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

Va va vivacious!!
Angela

Sewer-Sewist said...

I love the flower! This looks fabulous on you!

~Sarah

Lori said...

Fabulous dress and fantastic fabric.

Paulette said...

That looks amazing on you....

Meg said...

Très chic, mon amie! Really shows off your slim figure.