Sunday, April 4, 2010

My iPhone contribution to the Easter Parade: Annie Modesitt's Gone with the WInd Hat from Romantic Hand Knits

I was the only woman wearing an Easter hat today at church. How about you? I didn't realize how red it was until I felt like it was too late to change. For some reason I was thinking it was burgundy when I was getting ready. Bu you know, red is too hard to match, so who cares? I was the only woman having at this church having too much fun getting ready. Isn't that half of the fun of Easter? Getting gussied up? The pretty dresses, spring shoes, flirty purse, perhaps even lacy gloves....you know it's not only renewal in a religious sense, but it's a rebirth of the wardrobe, the time of year you might start wearing more white, break out the cotton or the light silk dresses and skirt, just because you know on Easter you can. I enjoy the ritual Easter egg hunt (which I supervised later in the day)...but I just think the ritual of Easter morning, getting up leisurely, turning on the music on the laptop....wondering can I wear? That's just the best and certainly the most peaceful part of the day, especially when you have a lot of young nieces and nephews underfoot like I do in the afternoon.

Looking at these photos, I can see the hat needs to be made again and improved. I think I even see where I grafted a bit of hat wire to brim, there's a bit of crimp where I made the graft. I'm not happy about that. Between that designer touch and the fact that it's a tad LARGE, I'm not sure how much I'm going to wear this hat....but it's so pretty! (It's from Romantic Hand Knits: 26 Flirtatious Designs That Flatter Your Figure). Someone else make it please!

1 comment:

PhantomMinuet said...

Actully, there were several hats besides mine this year. I wore a large black sinamay hat (picture at my blog), and there were two other women in big floppy black hats. I also saw a perky pink hat with a multicolored ribbon, a very elegant cream picture hat (from the only other woman in the congregation who wears a hat every time she comes to church), a tan cloche, and a seafoam green breton.

I love the color of your hat. I was going to wear red, but I didn't lose quite enough weight to fit into my red suit.